Friday, May 18, 2007

Fawad Alam! Welcome to the Squad!

Its been about a week since the news broke, but I couldn't resist saying I told you so, specially after Omar, all but ordered that I write a post about Fawad Alam's selection to the upcoming series with Sri Lanka in Abu Dhabi.

For my previous posts, click on the link. In short, Fawad Alam is an off-spinning, opening all-rounder who has done exceedingly well in all forms of cricket he has participated in over the last few years. U-17, U-19 and even on the domestic circuit. Given his electrifying performances over the past year, and in the Twenty20 Cup recently held domestically, it was high team he was given a shot. I hope that his selection won't be cosmetic only, but will result in him being given a start on the squad.

I can see Omar's consternation at the selection of an umpteen number of all-rounders to the squad, but I hope that Fawad Alam is given a shot as an opener, more along the line of a Chris Gayle who bats high in the order, and bowls as a spinner. I would perhaps liken Fawad Alam more to Shoaib Malik than to Abdul Razzaq, as they appear to be almost the identical player. Good fielder, off-spinning batsmen with an unlimited future. Lets see how things work out. For now, all congrats to Fawad Alam!

0 comments: